Friday, 8 February 2013

Wrecked BMP-1 – part one

Here's a mini-project that I hope won't turn into a mega-project: turning a spare Old Glory BMP-1 into a roadside wreck. I had in mind something that wasn't necessarily destroyed but had perhaps been damaged, abandoned and stripped for parts. 

I bought a mini-vice in a sale years ago and have hardly had any use out of it, so I decided to finally get my money's worth. I wanted to do something more ambitious than paint the intact miniature as a wreck, so the first step was to cut off the two hatches on the back with a coping saw. 


The next step was to drill out the four top hatches at the back of the vehicle (while wearing safety glasses, of course, since I value my eyesight)...


...as well as one of the hatches at the front...


...and the turret hatch. 

Next, I cut away some more of the the rear top hatches with a Stanley knife (again, while wearing safety glasses), and filed the hatches square. I used various shapes of file to get the curves on the other hatches to the right shape and size. 

I added two small pieces of wood to the back of the BMP to create a floor and the partition for the crew compartment. Here's what I ended up with:




I also sliced off the tracks with a Stanley knife and filed the rest away to leave just the wheels:


I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do with it next. I don't fancy coming up with a fully-detailed passenger compartment so I may just put in a few small pieces of plastic to suggest some seats and cover the interior with sand.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...