This is the final part of my attempt to turn a Co-Op coleslaw box into a wargaming terrain piece. Here are parts one and two.
There's not much more to say about this terrain piece now, other than the paint scheme had to fit with my Afghanistan desert terrain, which you can see here and here on Flickr. One day I’ll get round to moving the Flickr images to this blog, but it won't be any time soon.
I undercoated the terrain piece with Fawn and Black (the colours are the names on the paint pots) a week ago, before I went on my holibobs. On my return, I drybrushed the sand base with Medium Grey, Light Grey and Linen, and the temple with Amish Grey and Fawn. I didn't like the drybrushing effect on the temple because it was too harsh, so I added a wash of thinned Winsor & Newton Black Indian Ink which made it look more natural. I also gave the sandy base a wash of thinned Dark Grey paint, then left everything to dry overnight.
In the morning, I drybrushed the base with more Medium Grey, Light Grey and Linen, and the temple with a little Medium grey and Fawn. And that was that. Here are some pictures of the finished item. Alas, the photos aren't great because the light today was very poor.
Where I applied too much glue and sand to the coleslaw box (see part one), I painted the lumps with Fawn, to try and make it look like sand building up on the temple walls, and washed them with more thinned Dark Grey paint:
The pillars are made with some ornate cocktail sticks I picked up from my local Chinese supermarket. I was planning to use them for their intended purpose until I spilled them all over the kitchen floor one day, so they ended up in my box of bits.
I'll make another two or three of these soon, plus a larger temple building as a centrepiece, but it's back to my Chechen war project next...